Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.
1 Chronicles 16:34
Ask most kids what they’re thankful for and what usually comes to mind are “things”–I’m thankful for my puppy.” “I’m thankful for my house.” “I’m thankful for clothes and toys.”
Or they’re thankful for people–“I’m thankful for Mrs. J because she teaches us math.” “I’m thankful for my mom because she cooks dinner for me.” “I’m thankful for my family.”
Ask your son or daughter what they’re thankful for and see what they say.
Encouraging kids to be be thankful for good things and wonderful people is always a great idea–especially if we don’t forget to highlight one of the most reasons to be thankful.
“Give thanks to the Lord,” 1 Chronicles 16:34 says. Why? “For he is good; his love endures forever.”
Even if nothing in life turns out exactly like you hope–the pumpkin pie you just baked, the hockey team your son tried out for, the project you’re working on, the business you started…God’s goodness and his forever love are reason enough to be thankful.Carol Garborg
These two quick Thanksgiving activities will stretch your kids’ imaginations to include the one of the most important reasons for thankfulness.
Quick Pre-Thanksgiving Dinner Activity
- Read 1 Chronicles 16:34 together.
- Have kids pick out three or four important words in the verse (For example, “good,” “love,” “endures.”)
- Go to wordart.com*
- Choose a shape. (In the example below I chose a butterfly.)
- Choose your font. (I chose “Loved by the King” font.)
- Enter your words one at a time. Chose key words or the whole verse.
- Click “visualize” to get an idea of what your design will look like.
- If you like it, click “download.” The placeholder words “Word” and “art” will disappear when you do.
IDEA: Do this ahead of time and make copies to use it as clip art on place cards.
*You’ll need to create an account and there is a charge for the download. This is a free site option.
Here’s my butterfly design with key words from 1 Chronicles 16:34:
Quick “Around-the-table” Thanksgiving Devotional
Ahead of time: Enlist one person’s help to remove a few food items from the table on your cue.
- Have kids help put food on the Thanksgiving table.
- Have everyone sit down.
- Ask a few people what they’re thankful for.
- Cue the adult you enlisted ahead of time to start removing a few platters of food. As they do say…
“Even if you took everything away—the rolls, the mashed potatoes, the corn, even the turkey, there would still be a reason to be thankful.
“Even if the people you care about the most weren’t here, there would still be a reason to be thankful.
“No matter what happens. No matter what you have or don’t have you can know that God is always good. God’s love last forever. Those two things will never change; that’s the best reason to be thankful.”
“Thankfully today we CAN enjoy all our food” [start bringing the food back.]
Wrap up with a prayer of thanksgiving for God’s goodness and love.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!